DIY Lens Cap Saver

Hello, DIY lovers!

I had a photo/design project I wanted to share with you that has SAVED my lens caps since trying it.

If you've ever picked up a camera, you'll find the lens cap gone in less than a second. You search for it later - and if you're lucky, find it - but if not, it's lost to the void. It's common for me to find stray lens caps in the wash because I forgot them in my pocket!

I've seen this DIY trick around the web, but I wanted to spice it up and make it my own. Here's what you'll need:


 - 1 roll of sticky back Velcro (preferably the wall hanging kind for durability)
 - scissors
 - colorful washi tape
 - lens caps
 - camera


THE PROCESS:

1. Cut the soft side of your velcro into a strip small enough to cover the middle of your lens cap. Remove the backing and stick it on - it's hard to remove the wall stick velcro, so make sure to line it up ahead of time.



2. Next up, the washi tape. DO NOT put it on before your Velcro - the tape will come right off! I learned from trial and error ;) Instead, decorate around the Velcro with small strips of tape. You can go crazy with it or simple! I color coordinated the caps with the lens they went with.





3. Cut out a piece of the rough velcro that is larger than your lens cap strip - this gives you more area to stick on when you're shooting. I put mine between the battery pack and screw for my tripod. I found that when I screwed the camera on my tripod, the velcro flattened and didn't affect the shot.




It should look something like this when you're done!




The colorful wachi tape is also helpful for finding stray lenses.




I hope this serves you well! It was such a relief for me to be able to keep up with my lens caps and add a personal touch in the process. Let me know if you try it and what you think in the comments below!

Have a great Friday, friends ;)

- India

Comments

Popular Posts