A Talk With Eszi & Flor Flower Co.

Good morning, all!

When I was gathering the courage to start my own business back in June, I was introduced to the incredibly fierce Shanda Zelaya. She started her own floral business and has been blowing up the wedding scene with her designs. I look to her as both a mentor and a passionate entrepreneur, someone who truly loves what she does and is fueled by her craft. We talked about how she got her start and where she wants to go from here, along with some advice for new entrepreneurs. 


Tell me a little bit about yourself.

I am just a simple girl with huge dreams.  I’m originally from San Jose, Costa Rica and most of my family is back home.  I have an amazing support team as I try to pursue my dreams.  My biggest fan is my husband and I would not be able to accomplish most of what I have in mind without his help and unyielding support.  It was because of his support that I even started Eszi & Flor and now, I’m planning on expanding to not only include floral design, but also event design in my services.  To be completely honest, I’m the person that always doubts herself, always second guesses and is mortified of not being able to achieve her goals.  However, I once read that if you can’t beat fear, do it scared; and I’m that person as well.  I will look a challenge in the face and tackle it head on.  So, here I am following my dream of having a floral and event design company.

How did your interest in floral design begin? When was the moment during your own wedding planning that you realized it was your calling?

I think my love affair with flowers started when I lived back home in Costa Rica, but I didn’t know it yet.  I grew up with beautiful flowers all around me and I was always intrigued by them. My mom used to tell me that I would see a huge hibiscus flower and immediately stick my face in it.  Once I got engaged and started to plan my wedding, I decided to take on the challenge of making my own flower arrangements.  I had friends tell me I was insane for trying to do that the day before my wedding. I ignored them and did it anyway.  It was the longest day of my life!  I made 42 flower arrangements with help from some friends and felt completely at ease.  It was like therapy for me. I was in my happy place and I loved it.

Where do you gain inspiration for your work?

Everything around me can be inspiration. I never know where I will find what inspires me next.  I love nature and the colors it gives us on a daily basis.  My inspiration can be simply from a beautiful sunset or a bright, full moon.  I can be scrolling through Pinterest or Instagram and see a beautiful image that inspires me to create something completely different.  One of my favorite places to be is the ocean.  The calmness of the water sometimes gives me the peace of mind I need to be creative.

What have been your greatest teaching tools while learning how to blog, market and create your own business?

I am so thankful for the internet! Lol.  Honestly, I did a lot of research when I started this business. I simply went to Google and started looking for contracts tailored for those in creative fields.  In my search, I stumbled across a blog called Once Wed. They were a great resource for me. The instruments provided by them were invaluable. From design to marketing, to contracts, to business planning and all details in between. It was great information and helped me start this business on the right foot.  Another great resource is Creative Live. It’s an app, tailored for creatives and they too provide lots of helpful tips on running a business successfully.  Workshops are also key.  Being able to keep your skills up to date is important.

How do you create a community around your business?

Social media plays a key role in this.  Being able to find those that share your passion and are supportive on a social media platform is what will help get your name out there.  Sharing stories on my blog about the weddings I’ve done and the ability to connect with others, like yourself, really help in building a community of supportive creatives.

What does your ideal customer look like?

My ideal client is one that will trust me, one that will allow me to be creative and one that can appreciate the beauty in flowers.  I love working with clients that give me a general idea of what they are looking for and then allow me to blow them away with my designs.  One of my favorite clients was a bride that handed me a card when I delivered her bouquets and boutonnieres. After I left, I opened the card and it said “I love my bouquet! Everything you made is absolutely amazing”. She wrote this card the night before her wedding.   

What do you hope to provide to them through your design work?

I want to provide my clients with an experience.  Have you ever been to a restaurant that provided you with an experience instead of just a meal?  The kind of restaurant where the chef comes out and explains what they’ve put together for you. They describe the ingredients and allow you to savor them. While you take that first bite, they wait for your reaction. Then, it appears. The first “wow” of the night.  Your server appears and hands you a bit of champagne, on the house, while the chef prepares your second course.  You are taken to another world with the kind of service you receive from this restaurant and the food is even better.  That’s what I want for my clients. I want them to see my designs and be able to see art. I want them to have an experience, not just a meal.

Where do you see your business in 10 years?

In 10 years, I hope to have a very well established business. I hope to be published in several blogs and magazines and I hope to be in a position where I can inspire others to chase their dreams.  I hope to always remember where I came from and the hard work it took to get to where I want to be.  I hope I will look back on this very blog and read these words again in 10 years and smile because I was able to accomplish what I most afraid of, success.

- - - - - - - -

You can check out Shanda's website here to get started on planning for your special day! I'm very thankful to know her and I know you will be, too. You'll find a Q and A with myself on her blog as well. I talk about my journey and a few new developments with the shop, including something that will be coming in the next few weeks. 

A few updates on my end - I'll be posting twice a week starting today in order to spend more time working on cards. You can catch me Mondays and Saturdays bright and early from here on out! I'll be posting daily updates on Instagram and Twitter.

I'm also extending the card bundle deal in my shop until tomorrow, July 11, so you have more time to check it out! You can shop the deal and other cards here!

As always, feel free to leave your thoughts and conversations in the comments below. I'd love to hear from you :)

Best,
India

Comments

Popular Posts